Sunday, June 9, 2013

Star Trek: Into Darkness


I'm going to preface this post with this fact: love Star Trek. End of story.

However, I did not love this movie. I should probably say that I actually really liked the first Chris Pine Trek movie. It is my belief that these new movies are Trek for today's generation. There is nothing wrong with this; in fact, I'm grateful that these movies are introducing this absolutely beautiful franchise to more people. That being said, I think that these movies are your average modern-day action flicks, but set on a starship in space with aliens. I mean, let's be real: a young guy, tough, gets into fights, drives fast vehicles, and has sex with beautiful women. How more stereotypically action-film can you get? That was alright in the first one because it was well written, well acted, and had a solid and recognizable core of Trekness that made it a worthy addition to the Star Trek universe, but I did not see a strong element of traditional Trek in Into Darkness and that made it very hard to ignore the fact that it was essentially a beat-em-up movie set in space.

The effects in both are brilliant and I love the Enterprise done with modern technology; seeing it every time is a practically religious experience. They do the best they can to distract the audience from the violence-crazed, plotless pseudo-mess that is Into Darkness. I went to see this movie with a friend who knows absolutely nothing about Trek. He has never seen any of the series or the movies. (I don't really know why he suggested that we go see a Trek movie when there were so many other options, but whatever...) All he really had to say afterwards was that there was a whole lot of violence and things crashing into each other in space.

I'd say that was a pretty accurate description.

It was pretty devoid of character development, plot, sex, and anything else that may have made it even a little bit compelling. I will admit, there was one specific tearjerking moment, but other than that, the movie was entirely people bent upon beating on each other and starships crashing into things. I really don't know how the Enterprise didn't EXPLODE with all of the damage it was taking!

The plot was all over the place and occasionally nonexistent. During the film, I had no idea why the character of Carol Marcus was even included. It seems like I am not the only one. The internet and and Trek fanbases all over the world have exploded with the blatant sexism evident in the existence of that character. She did nothing in the entire movie but appear in her underwear; both degrading women and turning their role in Starfleet, a product of a supposedly advanced and enlightened world, into mere pretty decoration for the men who do all of the actual dangerous and fulfilling work. There was absolutely no point in her being naked; the scene did nothing for the (lacking) plot, so why was it there? I think we can all answer that  question ourselves.

I adore Benedict Cumberbatch and I am a dedicated Sherlock fan, so I have to say that I was thoroughly amused that Cumberbatch was prowling the streets of London in a black trench coat and scarf. Because who will ever say no to fan service, right? It was hilarious and wonderful and had absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the movie. Also, Chekov's reaction to his instructions to put on a red shirt was fantastic. Who isn't terrified when he or she is told to put on a red shirt? I know I would be! I laughed out loud. For a good length of time. It was a little embarrassing.

I love Spock and I think that Zachary Quinto does a lovely job. That was random but I wanted to say it.  He does a great job in an iconic and incredibly difficult role.

I don't really know how to sum up my feelings about this movie. It was just... disappointing. I'm just going to go back to good ole Star Trek: The Next Generation. Because is one of the best TV shows ever made. Period.

If you want a really good Trek movie, go watch Star Trek: Insurrection. Now that is what I call quality. I watched it the day after I saw Into Darkness to restore my faith in Star Trek. TNG for the win! Also, I just discovered that Season 1 of TNG is free on Hulu right now! Who is watching it again? This kid!

And with that, have a nice day.

1 comment:

  1. *Gasp* it was a great movie... better than the first ;)

    ReplyDelete