Friday, June 7, 2013

My Revue Audition

Or, A Series of  Unfortunate Events


Welcome back (the author says to herself, the only reader of this blog)... So I recently auditioned for a Broadway Revue. What exactly is that, you may ask? I myself only recently learned of the existence of such shows, but I assure you that they are most definitely worth your time and money. A revue combines lots of acts together into a comprehensive night of entertainment. In the case of a Broadway revue, these acts are different songs from popular (or unpopular, depending on the revue) Broadway shows that are performed in a cabaret-style atmosphere, often as dinner theatre.

Almost falls during dance call? This kid!
Needless to say, I was incredibly excited to audition. I put on my tights, packed up my character shoes, and hopped in the car. I got to the audition space and, after hurriedly trying to figure out how to actually get inside, finally found the proper door only to rush in about 4 eight-counts into the dance audition. No worries, though. Those counts were mostly posing, which is easy enough to pick up. So I learned the dance call, which was relatively easy ( you won't find me complaining!) and wicked fun, we got through all of the preliminary stuff and finally got to do it. My character shoes are soled with suede, and I had never danced on carpet, and right before the one big kick in the routine I placed my foot a little wrong and... almost went flying during the kick! After a narrow miss with an encounter with aforementioned carpet, I (sort of) regained my feet and finished the dance with very little hope and quite a lot of embarrassment.

And then I got a dance callback.

Either they were being incredibly merciful or everyone else there was REALLY bad. I don't know which one I prefer. But I was allowed to stay for the dance callback, which was also the advanced dance audition, and it went much better. As in, I didn't almost fall over. I mean, God, who falls over in a dance audition?! <hides face in shame>

And of course, I forgot water, but I still had to sing. And I had to make a mad dash back out to my car to get my click track, because I left the CD in my car player. Of course. But honestly, it was the best vocal audition of my life.

So in recap, I got to the audition on time, but couldn't get inside the building, and therefore missed the beginning of the dance call. Then I almost fell flat on my face (literally) during the audition, somehow got a dance callback, managed to do that without falling, realized after doing incredibly fast dances to "Too Darn Hot" (ten points if you can name the show the song is from) that I forgot water, then had to sing, but realized I forgot my CD in my car, had to run back out to my car before they realized I was gone, somehow made it back before anyone noticed, and then had to sing on an almost-entirely cold voice without any water.

Not me. <cries>
And it was the best audition I've ever had. I don't know how that happened, but my song was as close to perfect as a mere mortal like myself can ever hope to achieve. I mean, I wasn't Bernadette Peters or anything (really though, who is...?)

I really hope I get in. I will keep you (I should say "me" because no one else reads this blog but me... And I don't even read it--I write it!) posted on what happens. They said that I should know in about a week. So hopefully in a week I'll be celebrating getting into my first revue.

But who knows. I mean, I am the kid that almost fell over in the dance audition. Really, who does that... but me?


No comments:

Post a Comment